“American and British cooks don’t know how far you can take an egg dish,”(Skillet-Baked Eggs with Spinach, Yogurt, and Chili Oil) chef Yotam Ottolenghi says. Here, he deftly elevates it to a different realm by flavoring spinach with melted leeks and scallions, baking eggs on top, and finishing with a dollop of yogurt and a drizzle of butter spiced with a smoky Turkish chili powder known as kirmizi biber (though crushed red pepper flakes will also work). Serve the dish in one large skillet or two small ones. “It’s always nice to surprise people,” he says.
- 2/3 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, halvedKosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped leek (white and pale-green parts only)
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallion (white and pale-green parts only)
- 10 cups fresh spinach (10 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon kirmizi biber (Turkish chili powder), or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and a pinch of paprika
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
Mix yogurt, garlic, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 300°. Melt 1 tablespoon butter with oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add leek and scallion; reduce heat to low. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add spinach and lemon juice; season with salt. Increase heat to medium-high; cook, turning frequently, until wilted, 4–5 minutes.
Transfer spinach mixture to 10″ skillet, leaving any excess liquid behind. If using 2 smaller skillets, divide spinach mixture equally between skillets. Make 4 deep indentations in center of spinach in larger skillet or 2 indentations in each small skillet. Carefully break 1 egg into each hollow, taking care to keep yolks intact. Bake until egg whites are set, 10–15 minutes.
Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add kirmizi biber and a pinch of salt and cook until butter starts to foam and browned bits form at bottom of pan, 1–2 minutes. Add oregano and cook for 30 seconds longer. Remove garlic halves from yogurt; discard. Spoon yogurt over spinach and eggs. Drizzle with spiced butter.